Graduate students at Syracuse University have the unique opportunity to earn a Certificate in University Teaching (CUT). Offered through the Future Professoriate Program, CUT is essentially the capstone element of the program providing a valuable credential that can help job applications stand out in a competitive field.
Awarded jointly by the Graduate School and the student’s academic department, the CUT is a tangible form of recognition for FPP participants and demonstrates readiness to assume faculty responsibilities in higher education.
In order to qualify for CUT you must:
- Be appointed to the FPP by your academic department/school.
- Participate in at least 6 of 8 programs in the CUT Seminar Series or equivalent requirement as specified by the department/school.
- Undertake an independent mentored teaching experience under the guidance of a Faculty Teaching Mentor.
- Construct a teaching portfolio that receives approval by your Primary Faculty Liaison.
- Complete any additional requirements articulated by your academic department.
You may receive the certificate upon completion of all requirements and the primary faculty liaison submits a signed Certificate in University Teaching Completion form to the Graduate School. Forms are due in late March if you wish to receive the CUT at the FPP recognition ceremony in late April. With some exceptions (e.g., M.A. students enrolled through Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics), earning the CUT requires at least two years of FPP participation. Upon earning the CUT, you may continue to participate in the FPP while actively matriculated and in good standing with your program.