Wellness and Family

Syracuse University welcomes your spouse/partner and/or children. There are various resources on campus and in the community to help graduate and professional students, with or without families, adapt to life in Syracuse.

Student Health Insurance – All full-time, matriculated graduate and law students are eligible for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).  Once per academic year, eligible students must enroll in or waive out of the SHIP though their MySlice account.

Barnes Center at The Arch– The health and wellness fee is a mandatory fee for all full-time students and is included on a student’s Bursar account. Part-time students are eligible to use Health Care on a fee for service basis. The health and wellness fee is remitted for full graduate assistant appointments and prorated for partial appointments. Payment of the health and wellness fee entitles eligible students to the following, provided by the Barnes Center at The Arch:

  • Counseling services
  • Flu vaccinations
  • Health care services
  • Health and wellness education, events and services
  • Nutritional counseling
  • Public health monitoring and oversight
  • Short-term psychiatric assessment and intervention
  • Syracuse University Medical Transport
  • Syracuse University Ambulance (SUA)

Care.com Graduate Assistants and Fellows at Syracuse University qualify for membership to Care.com. This benefit provides unlimited online access to a network of local care providers.

Child Care Subsidy – Syracuse University recognizes that supporting graduate and professional student success requires a holistic approach. Ensuring that your child or children can be cared for while you’re focused in the classroom, lab, or involved in practicum is another level of comfort and support. The Child Care Subsidy is awarded in the fall semester to full-time students with children under the age of 6 years.

Need assistance deciding which option is best for your child? Carebridge can help!

Syracuse Area K-12 Schools – Central New York prides itself on its quality K-12 education. There are a number of public and independent schools to meet your children’s educational needs within the city, through the Syracuse City School District and in the surrounding suburbs.

Not sure which resource is best for your particular situation? Contact the Office of Student Assistance.

I.D. Card Services – The SU I.D. card is an identity tool for the safety and security of our campus. It serves as your official University identification and is property of Syracuse University.

Off-Campus and Commuter Services – Provides students with information on finding suitable housing, exercising their rights and upholding their responsibilities as tenants, and identifying resources that can assist with other housing-related questions.

Recreation and Exercise Facilities – Find out about the Barnes Center at The Arch,  campus-wide fitness centers, classes, programs and sports clubs available to help all members of the SU community maintain active and healthy lifestyles.

Office of Student Assistance – Student Assistance works to address the needs of students who struggle in such areas as psychological health, physical health, victimization, relationship issues, and social adjustment through a variety of interventions, referrals, and case management services.

Counseling and Support Services – Our clinical staff provides comprehensive mental health and substance abuse–related services, supporting students in times of crisis by facilitating problem resolution, enhancing coping skills, promoting personal growth, and promoting academic success.

Student Legal Services – SLS is a non-profit organization (not part of Syracuse University) that provides a range of free legal services to graduate students, including legal advice, document preparation, and, in some cases, legal representation.