The Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award honors faculty members whose dedication to graduate students and commitment to excellence in graduate teaching and mentoring have made a significant contribution to graduate education at Syracuse University.
Given the wide variation in responsibilities across campus, each department wishing to nominate a faculty member for this award will have latitude in establishing nomination criteria. The following broad guidelines apply to all departments:
1. Regardless of the number of faculty employed in a given department, the Graduate School encourages the nomination of only truly distinguished and deserving candidates. No more than one (1) award will be given per department or academic unit per year.
2. Previous recipients of this award are ineligible to receive the award again.
3. Awards will be made on the basis of demonstrated excellence and lasting impact in the following areas:
- mentoring of graduate students in their roles as scholars, teachers and academic professionals
- graduate instructional performance
- special advising efforts and/or advocacy on behalf of graduate students
4. Only completed nomination packets will be considered.
5. All nomination materials must adhere to the nomination process described below and be submitted by the advertised deadline as a WORD.doc or in .pdf format.
It is the nominator’s responsibility to collect the required materials and complete the nomination packet, including the checklist for required items. The nominator must submit these materials by e-mail as a WORD.doc or in .pdf format ONLY to Dina Ioannidis in the Graduate School (email@example.com) by Wednesday, March 3, 2021:
- Letter of nomination submitted by a graduate student, faculty member, administrator or alumnus that provides an overview of the nominee’s contribution to graduate education and includes a brief description of why the candidate is considered outstanding in his/her department. This document will serve as a cover letter for the nomination packet.
- Information Sheet must be complete.
- Letters of support—a minimum of three from faculty, staff, graduate students or alumni. At least one letter must be from a current graduate student or recent graduate.
- Letter of endorsement from the chair of the nominee’s department.
Once the nomination materials are submitted, the Graduate School will invite the nominee to provide the following:
- Current curriculum vitae
- Reflective statement illustrating practices that have supported or contributed to graduate education at Syracuse University
Nominations are reviewed by a committee of Graduate School staff and graduate students. Submitted materials should address the nominee’s impact on the professional preparation of graduate students and ability to promote excellence in graduate education within his/her department and the university.
Some items to consider include the nominee’s demonstrated ability to:
- Provide a supportive environment for graduate research and scholarship.
- Model superior teaching, careful advising, and responsible professional conduct.
- Enhance students’ academic and professional skills.
- Sponsor students’ entry into the professional academic community.
- Guide students in administrative, organizational and professional matters.
- Help students secure suitable employment and achieve professional success.
- Promote effective mentoring practices.
Award recipients will be recognized along with the Outstanding TAs in mid-April at an event to be presided over by the dean of the Graduate School.
Questions regarding the Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award should be directed to Peg DeFuria (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate School.
Send nomination materials to Dina Ioannidis (email@example.com) by Wednesday, March 3, 2021.