Take advantage of these teaching resources designed to support graduate students serving as Teaching Assistants (TAs) or in other instructional capacities:
- Services for TAs: The TA Program provides programming, observations/consultations, assessment tools, and other services to support TAs in their instructional roles.
- Learning Environments: This ITS unit supports SU classroom technology needs and web-based course management tools.
- Online Learning Services: OLS is a unit within Information Technology and Services. Their primary mission is to provide leadership and support in the appropriate use of technology for teaching, learning, and research.
- Future Professoriate Program: The FPP provides structured professional development for graduate students aspiring to faculty careers, with a special focus on the teaching role.
- Graduate School program videos: The Graduate School maintains a video library of past programs, including several on teaching-related topics.
- Critical Incidents in College Teaching: These short vignettes are intended to stimulate discussion about common instructional challenges.
- Blackboard Collaborate and Blackboard basics for Online TAs This overview highlights the basic tools in Blackboard Learn, including the Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing system. The session addresses simple strategies to help move face-to-face courses to online delivery. PDF of slides. (See also ITS’s Rapid Online Course Development Guide)
- Creating a Teaching Portfolio: Teaching portfolios are a great way to document your preparation as a teacher, and are required of students nominated for the Outstanding TA award, applying for the Teaching Mentor position, or pursuing the Certificate in University Teaching through the FPP. The Graduate School offers sample portfolios and other resources for constructing physical and web-based portfolios.