Writing a dissertation is a long and potentially arduous process. To help doctoral students boost their writing productivity and maintain progress toward completing their degrees, the Graduate School hosts a 5-day Dissertation Boot Camp during Winter Break. Provisions include:
- At least 6 hours of dedicated, distraction-free writing time per day
- On-site writing consultants, subject librarians and data services specialists
- Optional workshops on dissertation-completion-related topics
- “Mental Recharge Station” and “Zen Zone” de-stressing area
- Lunch provided!
- Coffee, tea and light refreshments available all day
- Opportunities to form peer support groups and find writing buddies
- Laptop computers and wifi available
Doctoral students in all programs and at all stages of the dissertation (including proposal-writing) are eligible. Enrollment is limited to 30 students, and individuals may participate a maximum of three times.
The 2024 Dissertation Boot Camp will be held January 4, 5, and 8-10 in the lower level of Bird Library.
How to Apply
- Complete the short application form; the form will become active at 9:00 a.m. EST on Monday, November 27, 2023.
- After your online application is received, you will be notified by email of your provisional acceptance OR place on the wait list.
- If you are provisionally accepted (you are among the first 30 eligible applicants), you will receive attached to your status notification email a 2-page pre-camp self-assessment form. You will have five (5) business days from the date of your notification email to return the completed and signed form to the attention of Peg De Furia (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate School.
- Upon receipt of your timely self-assessment, you will receive an email confirming your acceptance for the Boot Camp. (If your self-assessment is not submitted within 5 business days, you will forfeit your spot to a wait-listed applicant.)
Questions may be directed to Boot Camp “Master Sgt.” Peg De Furia (x4646; email@example.com). The Dissertation Boot Camp is supported with service provider funds from the GSO.